All About Premature Ejaculation Cream
Allo Health is dedicated to personalized well-being, offering support and trusted information tailored to individual health goals. The platform emphasizes human-generated content, led by a distinguished medical team of experts, including physicians and sexual health specialists. Their commitment to credibility involves rigorous fact-checking, authoritative research, and continuous updates to ensure accurate, up-to-date information. Allo Health's unique approach goes beyond conventional platforms, providing expert-led insights and a continuous commitment to excellence, with user feedback playing a crucial role in shaping the platform's authoritative voice.
Dr. Aditi completed her undergraduate medical education at AJIMS, Mangalore, after which she worked in multi-speciality hospitals with COVID patients and in the Pain and Palliative medicine department. Driven by her experiences, she developed a keen interest in psychiatry. Dr. Aditi believes that mental health is just as, if not more important, than physical health.
Why This Was Upated?
Our experts continually monitor the health and wellness space, and we update our articles when new information became available.
Updated on 27 January, 2024
- Article was updated as part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
"The following blog article provides general information and insights on various topics. However, it is important to note that the information presented is not intended as professional advice in any specific field or area. The content of this blog is for general educational and informational purposes only.
The content should not be interpreted as endorsement, recommendation, or guarantee of any product, service, or information mentioned. Readers are solely responsible for the decisions and actions they take based on the information provided in this blog. It is essential to exercise individual judgment, critical thinking, and personal responsibility when applying or implementing any information or suggestions discussed in the blog."
Premature ejaculation in men is a common condition where the semen leaves the body (ejaculates) earlier than expected during sex. A wide number of male individuals across the world are reported to face the issue during intercourse. One such option is using a premature ejaculation cream, a topical treatment that can help delay ejaculation during sexual activity.
What is Premature Ejaculation Cream?
Premature ejaculation (PE) cream is a topical treatment that is applied to the penis head before sexual activity to help this form of sexual dysfunction, i.e. to help increase ejaculation time. This is a type of anesthetic cream that contains anesthetic agents to numb the penis to have ejaculatory control and sexual satisfaction. Several topical agents, such as benzocaine, lidocaine, or prilocaine, are used which works by temporarily desensitizing the nerve endings in the penis.
It should be applied to the penis 10 to 15 minutes before sexual activity. The cream should be allowed to fully absorb into the skin before engaging in sexual experience. It’s important to note that excessive use of the cream can lead to numbing of the penis, which can reduce sexual pleasure and may even lead to injury and cause other common side effects like irritations etc.
PE cream comes in various forms, including gels, sprays, and creams. The products are available in medical shops. To consult a health professional is always advised to avoid any kind of adverse effects. You should follow the directions for treatment. Some products may contain ingredients, such as herbal extracts or vitamins, which are intended to reduce sexual performance anxiety or provide additional benefits. It should be noted that the use of these creams is not going to cure any deep-rooted cause, so consultation with professionals is a must thing to do.
Types Of Premature Ejaculation Creams
A wide range of products, depending on the ingredients are available in the market, for premature ejaculation treatment, to meet the need for sexual function for individuals. Some of them are:
- Benzocaine-based Creams: This reduces sensitivity and can help prolong sexual activity and delay ejaculation. Benzocaine-based creams are available over the counter and are relatively inexpensive. However, they may cause some temporary numbness or reduced sensation, which can reduce sexual pleasure.
- Lidocaine-based Creams: Lidocaine is another local anesthetic that is commonly used in PE creams. They function in the same way as Benzocaine-based Creams. However, they may be more expensive than benzocaine-based creams. Some users may also experience temporary numbness or reduced sensation with lidocaine-based creams. Lidocaine sprays are also available.
- Prilocaine-based Creams: Prilocaine is another local anesthetic that is similar to lidocaine, used in common medications to treat PE. They may be more expensive than benzocaine-based creams, but they may also be more effective for some users.
- Herbal-based Creams: Some PE creams contain herbal extracts, such as ginseng or ginkgo biloba. These herbs are believed to have aphrodisiac properties and may enhance sexual performance. However, the effectiveness of herbal-based premature ejaculation creams is not well-established, and they may not be as effective as creams containing local anesthetics.
- Combination Creams: Some PE creams contain a combination of active ingredients, such as benzocaine and lidocaine, or benzocaine and prilocaine. These combination creams may provide a more comprehensive solution for PE by targeting multiple aspects of sexual sensitivity. However, they may also be more expensive than single-ingredient creams.
The effectiveness of PE creams may vary depending on the individual and the severity of their condition. Some users may find that one type of cream works better for them than others. It’s also important to choose a high-quality product and to use it as directed to minimize the risk of side effects. If you’re considering using a premature ejaculation cream, it’s recommended to speak with a healthcare provider first to ensure that it’s safe for you to use.
How to Use Premature Ejaculation Creams
Using PE cream is simple. Before engaging in sexual activity, the cream should be applied only to the head of the penis. It’s important to follow the instructions provided with the cream, as the application method may vary from product to product. In general, the cream should be applied for 30-45 minutes before engaging in intercourse for an uncircumcised individual and 1 hour before intercourse for an individual who is circumcised. After which it has to be washed off with plain, room temperature water, without soap, before engaging in intercourse.
It’s important to note that premature ejaculation cream should not be used with a condom, as the numbing agent can also reduce sensitivity for the partner. It’s recommended to wait until the cream has fully absorbed before engaging in sexual activity and to wash off any excess cream before use.
Side Effects Of Premature Ejaculation Creams
While PE creams can be effective in delaying ejaculation and improving sexual performance, they may also come with some side effects. Here are some of the potential side effects of premature ejaculation creams:
- Temporary Numbness: Some PE creams work by temporarily reducing sensitivity in the penis. While this can help delay ejaculation, it may also result in temporary numbness or reduced sensation in the penis.
- Skin Irritation: Some PE creams may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals. This can result in redness, itching, or swelling in the area where the cream was applied.
- Transference: If not applied correctly, some PE creams may transfer to a partner during sexual activity, leading to temporary numbness or reduced sensation in their genitals.
- Drug Interactions: Some PE creams may interact with other medications, including certain antidepressants, which can increase the risk of side effects or reduce the effectiveness of the cream.
- Overuse: Overuse of PE creams may lead to dependence or tolerance, meaning that the cream may become less effective over time or may be needed in increasing amounts to achieve the desired effect.
Is Premature Ejaculation Cream Right for You?
These topical creams may be a suitable option for those who experience premature ejaculation and wish to improve their sexual performance using topical anesthetics. However, individuals must be aware of the side effects as well, before using it.
It’s important to note that premature ejaculation creams are not a cure for this sexual dysfunction. Additionally, premature ejaculation creams should be used as directed, and users should be aware of the potential side effects, such as temporary numbness or reduced sensation.
Ultimately, the decision to use a premature ejaculation cream should be made in consultation with a healthcare professional and based on the individual’s specific needs and preferences. A healthcare provider can help determine the underlying causes of premature ejaculation and recommend the most appropriate treatment options, which may include premature ejaculation creams as well as other interventions.
It’s also important to have an open and honest conversation with your partner about premature ejaculation and how it’s affecting your sexual relationship. Seeking support from your partner can help alleviate feelings of shame or embarrassment, and may even improve intimacy and communication in your relationship.
A Holistic Approach to Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation is a common concern for many men, but there are various effective medications available. Using a premature ejaculation cream can be an effective way to delay ejaculation during sexual activity. However, it’s important to choose a high-quality product and to follow the instructions provided with the cream. If you’re experiencing premature ejaculation regularly, it’s important to speak with your healthcare provider to rule out any underlying medical conditions psychological factors, and emotional issues. Communicating with the partners about these issues is another important part. With the right support and treatment, premature ejaculation doesn’t have to be a barrier to a fulfilling and enjoyable sex life.
Most Asked Questions
What is Premature Ejaculatory Cream, and How Does It Work?
Premature ejaculatory cream, also known as desensitizing or numbing cream, is a topical product designed to help delay ejaculation in men who experience premature ejaculation. These creams typically contain local anesthetics such as lidocaine or prilocaine, which temporarily numb the penis, reducing sensitivity and potentially prolonging the time to ejaculation. The aim is to provide men with better control over their sexual responses.
How Should Premature Ejaculatory Creams Be Applied?
The application of premature ejaculatory creams is relatively straightforward. Users are generally advised to apply a small amount of the cream directly to the penis, focusing on the most sensitive areas, and allowing it to be absorbed into the skin. It's important to follow the specific instructions provided by the product, as overuse or incorrect application may lead to adverse effects or reduced efficacy.
Are Premature Ejaculatory Creams Safe, and Do They Have Side Effects?
In general, premature ejaculatory creams are considered safe for use. However, like any topical product, they may have potential side effects. Common side effects include temporary numbness, and in some cases, the partner may also experience a numbing sensation. Allergic reactions are possible, so it's essential to check the product's ingredients and perform a patch test before regular use. Consultation with a healthcare professional is recommended, especially for individuals with pre-existing medical conditions.
Can Premature Ejaculatory Creams Improve Sexual Satisfaction for Both Partners?
Premature ejaculatory creams are primarily designed to address the concerns of men experiencing premature ejaculation. While they may provide benefits in terms of delaying ejaculation and improving control, the impact on sexual satisfaction for both partners can vary. Open communication between partners is crucial to address any concerns or sensations related to the use of the cream and to ensure a mutually satisfying sexual experience.
Are Premature Ejaculatory Creams a Standalone Solution, or Should They Be Used in Conjunction with Other Treatments?
Premature ejaculatory creams can be used as a standalone solution for some individuals, but they can also be integrated into a broader approach to managing premature ejaculation. Other treatment options may include behavioral techniques, psychotherapy, or medications. The choice often depends on individual preferences, the severity of the condition, and whether there are underlying factors contributing to premature ejaculation. Consulting with a healthcare professional can help determine the most suitable approach based on individual circumstances.